Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Critical Manangement Skill #1 - "Praise-Correct-Praise"


Critical Management Skill #1

“Praise - Correct - Praise"

You get more from sugar than you do from vinegar

When working with a student it is important that we help them accomplish their goals and build their confidence simultaneously. When a student first begins their journey to black belt it can be a very scary and cumbersome time. Keeping in mind (with adult students in particular) that new students do not want to get hurt or look stupid in front of their peers, it is important that we, as instructors, acknowledge and emphasize effort over perfect technique. This is why the concept of “Praise – Correct – Praise” is so effective.

As a young instructor many years ago, I made some stupid mistakes. One such mistake was that I expected all of my students (especially the one’s closest to me) to know that I care about them and love them. Thus, I figured that the only time I needed to talk with them was to correct and scold them when they messed up or did something incorrectly. Until one day one student spoke up and said “Do we ever do anything right?”

That question hit me like a ton of bricks. I realized then that I was wrong in my approach. I was in the “Correct – Correct – Correct” mode. I discovered you get more from sugar than you do from vinegar. I discovered the concept of “Praise – Correct – Praise.”

As an example; When you are training a student on the mat and request that they step back with the right leg and get their hands up to protect their face, you notice that they step back with their left leg incorrectly.

PRAISE: “Great job in stepping back.”
(You are happy that they did what they thought you requested.)

CORRECT: “Now switch your feet.”
(No big deal, just gently request them to adjust.)

PRAISE: “Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for.”
(Make them feel good with their adjustment and progression.)

This Critical Management Skill has served us well over the years and you would do well to adopt this concept into your teaching style.

Dedicated to your achievement,

Garland R. Johnson

Assistant Professor Garland R. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment